Sunday, February 3, 2008

Superbowl Sunday

Wow! I'm not a huge football fan but this year's Superbowl was super exciting! Luke and I watched the game at a local pub. I thought the Patriots would kill the Giants, Luke thought it'd be a close game - he was obviously right.

The weekend went by so fast. Luke came up Friday night and was supposed to play rugby Saturday. Unfortunately, there were snow issues on 101 and the rest of his team (Mendo Steam Donkeys) couldn't make the drive to Humboldt so the game was postponed to next weekend. We spent most of Saturday shopping... poor Luke.

It's now Sunday night and I'm, once again, studying in the library. I have to write a two page paper about my experience at Focus the Nation last week. Focus the Nation is a campaign ran at some 1500 colleges and universities across the country. It was pretty interesting. I attended a panel lead by about eight HSU club representatives. The clubs represented included a club focused on sustainable technology ("green living" or "green housing"), a club promoting the legalization of marijuana, an efficient energy club, a recycling club/program, a bicycle/green transportation club, a community food club, a natural resources club, and a green campus club. Because I'm interested in learning more about sustainability, I'm hoping to join at least one of the clubs mentioned. I don't know which I'd like to join so we'll see. The next seminar I visited was held by three members from different organizations in the community and regarded the "Triple Bottom Line." I'm very interested in this subject. Most of the seminar focused on how we can create more efficient houses and neighborhoods but much of what I heard could be applied to business as well. To name a few of the advantages, living in a green home would require less maintenance, improved health, lower operating costs, longer lasting durability, increased return on investment, and increased productivity. Generally speaking, green homes currently cost a small amount more than comparable non-green homes, however, if you calculate all of the advantages in, you'd definitely spend a lot less in a green home. Furthermore, one of the reasons green homes are more expensive is because they're relatively new and still a specialty product. Once demand increases, supply will increase and the learning curve will allow the prices to decrease. There are so many wonderful opportunites for us humans to be more efficient and I can't believe how clueless I was of all of these (necessary) opportunities when I lived in Modesto. I think we'll see a large number of changes over the next decade once more people begin realizing these types of opportunites and how they can benefit us and our enviornment.

.

2 comments:

lsilva1 said...

You go girl!
Best of luck! Lori :)

maurrica.doss said...

Wow! You seem so busy and really happy! Good for you. Did you get anything cool when you went shopping? How's your dog? Are you coming down Friday to visit? Talk to you soon.